The AgilePoint Service Account is the set of authentication credentials AgilePoint Server uses to connect to other systems, such as the database server.
The AgilePoint Service Account is a "headless" account, which means that a person is not associated with the credentials. Instead the AgilePoint Server software or AgilePoint NX system is represented with these credentials. In other words, the AgilePoint NX System Administrator manages the credentials for the AgilePoint Service Account, but the (human) adminsitrator does not use these credentials to authenticate to any system.
When AgilePoint Server is installed, the credentials for the AgilePoint System Account are the same as the AgilePoint Service Account. The purpose of this is to simplify the AgilePoint Server installation. However, for security purposes, AgilePoint recommends you separate these credentials after AgilePoint Server is installed.
Applies to Deployment Types
Permissions and Configuration
AgilePoint Server Machines
During installation, AgilePoint requires db_owner privileges in SQL Server to create the tables required on the database. For security purposes, after finishing the AgilePoint Server configuration, you can remove the AgilePoint Server service account from the db_owner role in order to disallow the Create table privilege. Instead you can add this user to the db_datareader and db_datawriter role memberships. Please note that when updating the database schema in the future (e.g. for an upgrade), you will need to add this account back to the db_owner role in order for the database schema to be updated
It is recommended to configure permissions for the SQL database account for AgilePoint, which grants INSERT,UPDATE, DELETE and SELECT, … by schema (namespace), ONLY on AgilePoint tables at the database level, instead of using the generic dbo schema to restrict access.
Data Services Machine
How To Create or Change This Account
- The AgilePoint Service Account is created when you install AgilePoint NX.
- To change the AgilePoint Service Account, refer to How Do I Change the Credentials for AgilePoint Administrator Accounts?.
Good to Know
- These administrator types have similar names, and they are easy to confuse:
- The AgilePoint NX System Administrator is a person who is responsible for several administrator accounts and roles. In most cases, there is one primary AgilePoint NX System Administrator, but this is not a technical limitation.
- A tenant administrator is a person who is resonsible for one AgilePoint Server tenant. In multi-tenant environments, each tenant can have its own administrator, but this is not a technical limitation.
- The AgilePoint System Account is a set of credentials for managing AgilePoint Server. There can be only one AgilePoint System Account. In most cases, one human user is assigned these credentials.
- The AgilePoint Service Account is a set of credentials AgilePoint Server uses to connect with other systems. There can be only one AgilePoint Service Account. Only the AgilePoint Server software uses these credentials, and they are not assigned to a human user. However, the AgilePoint NX System Administrator is usually responsible for maintaining these credentials.
- The Tenant Administrator is a master administrator setting for the NX Portal. There can be only one Tenant Administrator.
The Tenant Administrator is assigned on the Tenant Settings.
- The Administrator is a security role on the NX Portal. Any number of users can be assigned the Administrator role.
- (Example) Use Anonymous Authentication in a Form-Based App
- (Example) Use Anonymous Authentication in a Process-Based App
- Examples - Step-by-step use case examples, information about what types of examples are provided in the AgilePoint NX Product Documentation, and other resources where you can find more examples.
About This Page
This page is a navigational feature that can help you find the most important information about this topic from one location. It centralizes access to information about the concept that may be found in different parts of the documentation, provides any videos that may be available for this topic, and facilitates search using synonyms or related terms. Use the links on this page to find the information that is the most relevant to your needs.
system administrator, administrators, administrator, service account, system account, server administrator, service administrator, global administrator, master administrator, master account, super user